Avocado is the main ingredient in guacamole. But did you know that there is more to avocado than just the tasty snack that we eat with multiple servings of tortilla chips? We can use avocado in desserts, body scrubs, and even as conditioning treatments in our hair!
Do you like ice cream? Avocado ice cream is a delicious (and healthy) dessert. Not only is this a tasty, creamy, and refreshing treat, but you can modify this recipe with your other favorite ingredients to get the best taste possible. We think adding coconut would be amazing. Two Peas and Their Pod has a recipe for this sweet surprise.
Avocado Ice Cream
Yield: 1 quart ice cream
3 medium ripe avocados
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Pinch of salt
1. Slice open the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh. Put the avocados in a blender of a food processor. Add the sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth.
2. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you like soft ice cream, go ahead and eat. If you like firmer ice cream, store in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.
Avocado doesn’t always have to be eaten to benefit from its nutrients. An avocado can be made into a body scrub. Avocado consists of natural oils that are beneficial for the skin. Scrubs are easy to make and being natural in nature, they are also suitable for sensitive skin. Skin Care Recipes and Remedies has a recipe for this dose of nourishment.
To prepare an Avocado body scrub you will need:
1 ripe, mashed avocado (peeled and pitted)
1/2 cup of almonds
1 cup of dry oatmeal
1. Coarsely grind the almonds.
2. Put on a muslin mitten and place it in the mix of almonds and oatmeal.
3. Scoop up some avocado.
4. Rub the body with this mixture.
5. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
Guess what else can benefit from avocados natural oils? Your hair. The fruit’s oils form a protective barrier around the hair follicle that keeps the hair hydrated and silky smooth. Hub Pages has a recipe for this moisturizing miracle.
How to make an Avocado – Egg Yolk Hair Mask
It’s very simple and easy to make. All you need to do is finely blend the avocado and egg yolk into a lump free puree. You can also just mash up an overripe avocado and whisk the egg yolk instead of blending – just to save time washing up later.
1/2 ripe avocado
1 egg yolk
A fork for whisking
A small bowl
1. Gather all the ingredients and tools you need. You’ll need a ripe if not overripe soft avocado and 1 egg.
2. Crack the egg and separate the egg yolk. In a bowl, whisk it until it turns into a frothy liquid.
Blend an overripe avocado finely. Mix well with the egg yolk. Your hair mask is now ready for application!
If you aren’t so keen as to use avocados in your body care regimen, come see us. Avocados are just another excuse to visit one of the many Acapulco’s Mexican Family Restaurant and Cantina, located in Massachusetts and Connecticut, to enjoy a delicious and authentic Mexican meal. We have a number of dishes prepared with avocado, including our tortilla soup, Vallarta salad, and torta union. We invite you to come try them out for yourself.