Everyone loves a good chili. It is one of those dishes that almost everyone grew up with. It is simple enough to make at home and filling enough to satisfy. This Mexican style chili features chipotle peppers and beef. Chipotle peppers are known for their distinctive smoky flavor which you’ll enjoy in this version.
Mexican Chili Recipe
This is an easy and quick recipe. It should take about 30 minutes of preparation and about 30 minutes cooking time. The original recipe can be found at allrecipes.com.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Note from chef: You can find chipotle peppers in the Mexican specialty aisle in the supermarket or at a Latin grocer. Make sure to purchase the chipotle peppers in the can with Adobo Sauce. If you don’t want it too spicy, just reduce the hot sauce and chili powder.
- In a large saute pan, brown ground beef with onion, chipotle peppers and 3 tablespoons of the adobo sauce; drain well.
- In a large stock pot, combine beef mixture, stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, Kosher salt, ground cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. At this point, adjust to taste with hot pepper sauce. Heat through and serve garnished with Cheddar cheese.
Mexican Chili Recipe Variations:
Substitute black beans for kidney beans, add some more tomato sauce is you prefer it more, or a Jalepeno will do the trick if you want to spice it up. Make sure to serve with a healthy portion of sour cream and cheddar cheese. To make it healthier, try adding shredded zucchini or spinach. Though it’s not proven, some believe chili tastes better if cooked longer. If you use the slow cooker, set on very low and let it cook all day.
This recipe is quick, tasty, and great for leftovers if you don’t have time to make a fresh meal tonight! If you want a fresh, authentic Mexican meal and don’t feel like cooking, you can check out our menus at Acapulcos Mexican Family Restaurant and Cantina. We have many locations throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut, serving authentic Mexican dishes and margaritas. Check out our locations and find an Acapulcos Restaurant near you.